In last month’s Reiki Report I began to address the question of how Reiki works by summarizing an excellent article about the science behind Reiki. As promised, I continue that discussion here. But first, here’s a quick reminder of the main points of last month’s column:
1) The effects of hands-on energy therapy are the result of physical processes, not the placebo effect.
2) Reiki has electrical and magnetic qualities that can be measured.
3) Pulsing magnetic fields from the hands of Reiki therapists are in the same frequency ranges that are optimal for stimulating tissue repair.
Continuing on from those three points….
4) The brain waves of energy therapists synchronize with the earth’s magnetic field.
You may have never thought about it, but the earth’s electromagnetic field has been measured; it is called the Schumann Resonance and vibrates at about 7.83 Hz. If you’ll recall, this is in the extremely low frequency (ELF) range in which healing of human tissue has been shown to take place, whether via Western medicine or via hands-on energy healing. And wouldn’t you know that EEG (electroencephalogram) measurements of energy healers’ brain waves put them at about 7.8 to 8.0 Hz, which also happens to be in the range of the alpha state, the same state achieved through meditation or deep relaxation.
5) Compassion and loving intention amplify the magnetic field.
What?!? That sounds like crazy talk! But hear me out. Did you know that the energy field of the human heart projects anywhere from 7 to 15 feet in all directions? This is somewhere between 30 to 100 times stronger than the field projected from the human brain. So basically the heart rules human interaction much more than our overactive brains. And the same holds true in hands-on energy healing; a study by researchers at the Institute for HeartMath showed that not only is the heart’s energy transferred via human touch but that this effect is amplified with intentional feelings of compassion, love, and appreciation!
6) Visualizing a Reiki symbol creates measurable electrical and magnetic fields. Everything in this world has an energetic vibration, be it a person, a cat, or a toaster oven. The symbols used by Reiki practitioners to set intention and reinforce our work are no different; they have a vibrational frequency of their own. When a Reiki practitioner visualizes a symbol, this information is passed via electrical impulses from the retina to the occipital cortex and then throughout the nervous system, ultimately affecting the electromagnetic fields emitted from the Reiki practitioner.